Wednesday, August 19, 2015

Getting to New York City

So basically, I discovered I wanted a career in acting when my friends were "too old" to play pretend and I still wanted to. I'm not sure when that was but that's when I discovered that I wanted to act. I loved it. I loved it. I loved it. At 12 years old, I had my school picked out: The Juilliard school. At 14 I got my first lead part. At 17 I was auditioning for a variety of schools. No, I was not accepted to Juilliard. I kind of really messed up my audition and was distracted however I was accepted to the American Academy of Dramatic Arts, notable alumni include Anne Hathaway, Paul Rudd, and Adam Scott.

I was more than excited but my pockets weren't on the same page as me. So, I took a year off to save up the funds I need. I took out the only loan I could take out (being 19 and lacking credit) and also received the maximum amount of financial aid the government was willing to give out to anybody. I won a few scholarships, I applied to a bunch. All of this and I still needed $12,000 for tuition alone. Not to mention food, housing, health insurance, metro card, etc. At this point, I'm betting a lot of you out there know what I'm feeling.

It is at this time, my father suggests to me crowd funding to raise the rest of the funds I need. Crowd funding is basically like your elementary school fundraisers for pizza parties. So I start up my crowd funding, I do my research I spend 12 hours making this video:
and I'm expecting, you know, something. But nothing is happening. Not even my family is donating and I spread the word like crazy. I'm posting flyers on churches, which are oddly enough being torn down. But that can't tear me down because now, you see, I'm calling churches. I'm typing up press releases. I'm contacting promoters. But so far nothing. Right now, I'm walking in faith. I know it will work out how God planned it to be even if I can't see it now. But hey, if you want to help get me to New York, that'd be great too.
Get Me to New York

No comments:

Post a Comment